Downtown view of Wharton, Texas
Wharton is a city in Wharton County, Texas, sixty miles southwest of Houston. Population was 8,832 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Wharton County and is located on the Colorado River of Texas just south of U.S. Highway 59 . The area now known as Wharton was part of the Caney Run mail route established by the Republic of Texas in 1838. The community was named after two leaders in the struggle for Texas independence, brothers John and William Wharton. The plantation community was first settled in 1846 by some of Stephen F. Austin’s original colonists, and a post office was established in 1847. The first lieutenant governor of Texas, Albert Horton, was an early settler. Land for a courthouse named Monterey Square was given from the land grant of William Kincheloe, one of Stephen F. Austin’s Old 300 colonists who settled in this area in 1822.